Tuesday, August 21, 2012

August 2012 Birchbox

I have a hate/hate relationship with Birchbox. Sometimes I'm not even quite sure why I subscribe. In fact, I unsubscribed for a while, because as time went on, my boxes were getting more and more crappy. I know it's a cheap subscription - $10 - but let's face it, $10 might be cheap, but it's way too much to spend on crap.

See, I know there are "good" boxes out there. I see the reviews. However, for some reason I never seem to get one of those boxes. Instead I seem to get the worst of the bunch - you know, the ones filled with tear-aways without a full-size sample in sight.

Still... when Kara's Way decided to take a break, I filled the gap with Birchbox. I told myself, "Self, whatever you do, do NOT look at spoilers before you receive your box." I was pretty sure seeing all the goodness other people received hampered my joy when I realized my box was not near as good as "everyone else's."

My first box after the break (I unsubscribed after receiving my worst box ever in February 2012) is a disappointment. It's mostly filled with tear-aways and sub-sized samples. And unlike others who feel the need to show the unboxing and tons of pictures (my camera is currently out), I will be reviewing only the products I've tried.

Here's what I actually received in my box:
  • Schick Hydro Silk™ Razor (full size, with coupons for replacement blades)
  • Three Wishes Body Butter by Whish (1 oz sample)
  • Juicy Couture's Viva la Juicy La Fleur perfume vial
  • Pillow Soft Curls by Miss Jessie's Original (Two 1 oz packets with the word FREE stamped on it)
  • Brightening Cleanser by DDF (2 oz)
For more pictures, please go here (and there you'll find a more positive review as well!)

First, let me say I'm extremely disappointed in the Pillow Soft Curls sample. For some reason - and perhaps it's just me - but having the word FREE stamped clearly on the packets ticked me off. After all, I paid for this box - and the best Birchbox could do was stick in a couple of samples I could have gotten free elsewhere?

See what I mean? Birchbox really tries hard to get me to hate them.

I was happy to see the Viva la Juicy La Fleur sample - I've been wanting to try it. However, the scent is awful - it's a super strong floral and after spraying it on, I couldn't wait to strip it off. However, in the spirit of full disclosure, floral scents do not appeal to me - at all. Not Birchbox's fault. Not Juicy Couture's fault. It's just a me thing.

I haven't yet tried the Brightening Cleanser - and when I do, I will add a product review for it. It is probably the only product I received that has anything to do with the beauty profile I filled out on BB. The thing is, the product came with a warning that it could cause redness and make skin more sensitive to sun - so I've been hesitant at using it.

See, I live in Nevada - land of the sun. This might not be a good product for me to use because of that. However, it's a good size sample and I would like to give it a chance.

The best product in the box was the Schick Hydro Silk™ Razor. Not only was it a full size product, but it also came with money saving coupons for replacement blades.

If it weren't for the razor, this box would have been a huge disappointment (instead of the tiny disappointment it ended up being).

I'm staying on for another month or two, at least. I just hope my boxes get better!