Sunday, January 6, 2013

PopSugar Must Have December 2012

The PopSugar Must Have box is not something I could ordinarily afford - but my dad generously gifted me with a three-month sub for my birthday in November. I was excited, and counted down the days until I received my first box.

All I can say is it was a huge disappointment. HUGE.



I've seen past boxes, and most of them seem great - yet this box was underwhelming, as you can see from the picture above.

This is what was inside:

Bodum Bistro Mugs:Okay, I'll admit - these are cool. But homey has mugs coming out of her ass already. Still, I really love the Bodum brand. And I'll use these - and just get rid of two other mugs so I have space.
Retail price: $30

Tea Forté Petite Ribbon Box: For reals? A luxury box and it contains TEA? What a cop out. Seriously - that is my one biggest gripe about all the small sub boxes - they always include tea as a space filler. So what does PopSugar go and do? THE EXACT SAME THING. Bah! Homey can't drink tea - unless it's chamomile - and that's plain chamomile. This box of tea was a total disappointment.
Retail price: $15

Jaboneria Marianella Soaps in Almendra: Ugh.... a bar of soap? Seriously? Homey does NOT use soap - and again, this is something I would expect from an inexpensive subscription box - not from PopSugar! At least it's made in my favorite place: The good old US of A!
Retail price: Too fucking much ($14 a bar)

Pinch Provisions Good Luck Minimergency® Kit: Guess what? I like it! This amazingly small little kit contains 17 items a girl might need in an emergency - like hairspray. Hey! Hairspray can - and has - saved a girl's day!
Retail price: $15

Bogdon's Peppermint Poles: I get that it was the holiday season, but homey would have much preferred something decadent instead of what amounts to a chocolate-covered candy cane.
Retail price: $3.99

GoSwype - Lips: Use these to keep your techy devices clean and free of lipstick and germs. Homey doesn't have any techy-type devices, because she can't afford any. I should have given this away as a gift at Christmas. It would have been great in someone's stocking.
Retail price: $1.99

And then..... the most crappiest thing of all: a $30 gift card from Rent the Runway. Uh... it's not like you can actually get anything for $30. Plus, you know this gift was crappy because it was also in the December Birchbox.

Nitpicks: PopSugar Must Have touts themselves as "an exciting monthly box, full of fun, hand-selected items from our editors." Since when is tea, soap, and candy canes exciting? Since never, that's when! I think the editors need to look up "exciting" in the dictionary and rethink this thing!

Lasting Impression: Well... the excitement of opening the box and seeing what was inside. I've been coveting this box for months now. Thanks, Dad! You made my dream come true!