Thursday, September 26, 2013

Ipsy - September 2013

I know, I know – I haven’t blogged in a while. What can I say? Quite frankly I was tired of complaining about receiving crap. My mom used to say, “If you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all.” I took her advice, but then realized it was no fun, so here I am again – complaining about crap for your reading pleasure.
 
Thing is, Ipsy rarely disappoints – and even though there are two products in this month’s bag I will never use, I was pretty much pleased with what I got for my $10 investment. The theme was Classic Beauty, and I would say that the products in the bag live up to that theme. So without too much complaining, here’s my recap of September’s Ipsy bag and what it means to me, in the order of worst to best:
 
NYX Eye Shadow: I received the color purple, which I love. What I don’t love is that the product is made in China. What, says you? BLRB, you are outta your mind! It says right there on the label: Made in P.R.C. Well homies, have I got news for you – P.R.C. is China. Where in the world have you been? Obviously not in school. I digress… needless to say, this product will not be going on my face.
Retail price: $4.50
 
J.Cat Beauty Fantabulous Lipstick – The shade is Nude, and I love it. However, before I went to put it on, I checked the label. Uh oh – it’s made in China. Blerg. Another throw away product.
Retail price: $2.49
 
Elizabeth Mott "It's So Big" Volumizing Mascara: Yay – finally something not made in China (of course, I’m not convinced Korea is much better, but at least they haven’t killed any animals yet with their pet food – at least to my knowledge). I tried the product, and it's good, not great. If I'm going to spend big bucks on a masacara, I'd rather get per-fékt Beauty Lash Perfection Gel.
Retail price: $19.99

Jesse's Girl Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner: Before you even ask, it's made in Taiwan. Not sure if that's better than China, but I'm gonna pretend it is. I'm so excited - eyeliner is one of my all-time favorite products. Everyone makes passes at girls who wear glasses - at least when they have eyeliner on! Make those babies pop, girls!
Retail price: 6.99 
 
Cailyn Tinted Lip Balm: While I would have preferred a more subtle color, I can’t argue that Big Apple Red is indeed a classic color. Best of all, this little classic baby is made in the good old U.S. of A!
Retail price: $19

I should probably also mention that subscribers also received a sample card of Michelle Phan's new cosmetic line, em. For those of you not in the know, Michelle Phan is the founder of Ipsy. Her cosmetic line is high priced - and many think over-priced. 

I emailed and asked where the cosmetics were made and did not receive a response. This leaves me feeling as if the cosmetics might be made in China - something they are probably not proud of. But I'm only speculating here - however no response usually indicates a marketing savvy response has not yet been drafted.

The card of samples doesn't even provide enough for one application. Apparently they're just "swatches" - lame!

Still, I admit I have a little love affair going with Ipsy, because they send the best stuff. Heck even the stuff made in China seems to be good to use for swapping and gifts. And for $10, this is a much, much better deal than it's main competitor: Birchbox.

Ipsy, I love you. Don't ever leave me.