Thursday, September 26, 2013

Birchbox - September 2013

It's time for me to review the subscription box I love to hate: Birchbox. I feel as though I must include a disclaimer here: This month I don't hate Birchbox, because I had a wonderful and trouble-free interaction with BB Customer Service about a week ago. The CC rep was friendly, helpful, and a joy to work with. This is probably one of the reasons I haven't cancelled yet this time around. I've said it before and I'll say it again: BB has the best CC Reps out there. They seem to go the extra mile - and that's a major accomplishment in this "I'd rather be texting" world of commerce we're in these days.
 
The other thing that pleases me about Birchbox - and I'm pretty sure I haven't said it before in a review - is that they treat customer orders the same as they do the Birchbox monthly subscription. "What does that mean?" you might be asking. It means that they take great care in wrapping up the product so that the customer feels as if they received a gift. A gift from themselves, sure... but a gift nonetheless. The last time I ordered from BB, my hair product was wrapped up so nicely I felt as if I had received a very special gift, instead of just a product order.
 
That said, my Heritage box (this month's theme) was a bit underwhelming - although there was at least one product in the mix that I loved. Without further ado, take a peek into my September Birchbox:

 
RUFFIAN Nail Lacquer in Fox Hunt: Man, Ruffian must have had some fun with that name. Not sure if the color is supposed to indicate the color of blood that's poured on the ground after a particularly grisely fox hunt... or reminiscent instead of the jacket color of those on a fox hunt. I must say here: I don't paint my nails. I used to - but they chip within the day and it's just something I don't want to waste my time on (painting and repainting my nails). I do enjoy the occasional pedicure, and this color will compliment my old lady feet. Bonus: Made in the USA!
Retail price: $10.00
 
Yes To™ Blueberries Cleansing Facial Towelettes: Just in time! I go to California at least once a month to visit my dad, and I've taken to bringing these types of towelettes with me. They work great - and I'm so excited to have my first "Yes to..." product in my grubby little hands. This is the product I am most excited about receiving. I can throw it in my suitcase for my next trip - my other packet (Josie Maran Bear Naked) just about ran out! Made in Germany.
Retail price: $7.99 at Birchbox; $5.99 at Yes To's website.
 
amika Blow Up Spray: Oh no - not another hair product! This one is a fairly decent size, compared to other amika products I've received (which have all been those most despised little foil packs). I am on the fence - do I give this away or do I try it? I really wanted the Sea Salt spray that was one of this month's offerings - but it might be fun to revisit the 80's and give myself some big hair. Made in the USA!
Retail price: $24.00
 
Racinne Ultimate Youth Power Eye Serum: BB really likes to give me old lady eye products! On the bright side, by the end of the year after using each one of these eye products I've received, I'm going to look like I'm 20 again. Watch out, MILFs – this cougar is about to roar!
Retail price: $32.00
 
Yes To™ Grapefruit CC Cream: Grrrrrrr.... two little foil packs. In this case, though, there seems to be a reason behind the madness that is the foil pack. There are two samples: light and light/medium. This way, I can determine which shade is really more "me." I haven't tried it yet, but I agree with the blogger masses on this type of product: I don't see the sense in using it, unless one's skin is already pretty much perfect. All the other CC creams I've tried haven't provided any type of coverage or correction. I am happy to try this, though, and will reveal the verdict in an upcoming blog.
Retail price: $15.99
 
Nitpicks: The ubiquitous foil pack! The box also seemed late to me - but on the other hand, that's not BB's fault. For some reason my box always gets stuck in Michigan for about three to four days. It's there... I can see it on the tracking... but they're not touching it! Maybe the postal workers in Michigan take a lot of beer and cheese breaks.
 
Lasting Impression: While this box is in no way, shape, or form a "Wow" box, I am truly happy to get to try the Yes To™ Blueberries Cleansing Facial Towelettes. In fact, just seeing them in the box gave me a case of the happies. I was also happy to see a decent nail polish shade in the box - I was afraid I was going to end up with purple or green or some other hideous color that isn't flattering to an old lady like me!

Additionally, I was heartened to see so many products made in the USA! Birchbox, you stole my heart with that added bonus! Thank you!