Monday, June 24, 2013

Trader Joe's Chocolate Covered Sea Salt Butterscotch Caramels

I'm in love with salt. And chocolate. So whenever these two ingredients appear together in the same product, I feel an overwhelming need to try it. This winter I discovered I like sea salt caramels, and went a little crazy after this discovery. Everywhere I turned, there seemed to be some sort of sea salt caramel available. I think I bought them all.

Then I was broke.

Again.

Imagine my wallet's delight when I happened upon these babies at my local Trader Joe's. Only $3.49 for a 7 oz. package. Ah, yes, my wallet smiled but would I?

I looked around the store to see if anyone saw me, and when I realized I was in the clear, I threw those babies into my cart. Why the secrecy? Because I was supposed to be on the Smash Diet with my co-workers. And try as I might, I could not find a way these tempting little morsels fit into the allowable foods in any way, shape, or form.

I got them home safely, cooked dinner, and didn't enjoy my little bit of protein and plateful of vegetables. What could make it better? That's right... a serving of baby sized chocolate covered sea salt butterscotch caramels. 

I grabbed about five, and tried a couple. YUM! They are the perfect blend of rich dark chocolate, buttery caramel, and sea salt. Neither taste outshines the other, and all the ingredients work together to deliver a delicious, delightful and delectable treat.

I've had some sea salt caramels that have too much salt. I've had some sea salt caramels in which the caramel was just too hard. And I've had others in which the caramel and the salt overpowered the chocolate. 

This is not the case with Trader Joe's Chocolate Covered Sea Salt Butterscotch Caramels. These taste better than some high end sea salt caramels I've tried. And for $3.49, they are an affordable treat. I can buy one for me, and one for a friend. I'd hate to be one of my friends, though, because even though I have every intention of giving one of them a package, it rarely ever makes it out of  my house.

I say get thee down to your nearest Trader Joe's and grab a package or two of these. As with anything at Trader Joe's, you never really know how long they'll stock it, so don't waste any time. Go now. Grab a cartful and enjoy.