Saturday, February 9, 2013

Ipsy January 2013

When I gave up on Birchbox, I decided to resubscribe to Ipsy. I was a subscriber when it was called MyGlam, but unsubscribed because the items sent to me were not exciting and smelled bad. I have since discovered that they switched warehouses (which apparently was the cause of the stench attached to all their products), and retooled their service. I’ve been keeping an eye out on the monthly Ipsy reviews, and decided to give them another try.

I’m glad I did.

Their signature item is a cosmetic case – there is one in every shipment. I forgot to take a picture of this month’s case before I tossed it out – basically, it was navy blue and with no distinct markings –but the inside was kind of cute. It had an Ipsy logo stitched inside.

The items in the bag put Birchbox to shame – for the same price, Ipsy did a much better job in curating products in sizes that are considered deluxe and full. Here’s what I got:

1) Pacifica Tuscan Blood Orange Mini Body Butter: I learned something new about myself this year: I love Pacifica products. I am fairly familiar with their candles, but was recently introduced to their lip balm/tint – which is lovely. I was ecstatic to receive this body butter to try.
Retail price: $7 for 2.5 oz.

2) Big Sexy Hair Travel Spray & Play Volumizing Hairspray: I don’t use hairspray on a regular basis – but every once in a while I use some on my bangs to keep my cowlick inline. I tried this baby this morning, and it worked wonders - plus kept my hair soft.
Retail price: $17.50

3) 100% Pure Argan Oil by Josie Maran: Argan Oil is all the rage now, and I’ve received various samples from various companies through various subscription services. In other words, another one? Ugh. Still, this is a good sized sample and I am eager to try a product by Josie Maran.
Retail price: $48 for 1.7 fl. oz.

4) Nailtini Nail Polish in Frappe: This is a full size product, so Yay! on that! But, the color is really plain – and not a color I would use. I’ve seen it described as pink, but it’s really more of a neutral cream with a warm undertone. (The color shown in the pic the link takes you to is NOT at all like the color I received.)
Retail price: $13

5) SOHO Crease Brush: I discovered that Ipsy sent out three different styles of brushes. This is not one I will use – I think I would have preferred the eyeliner brush. Still, this is another full size product, so to speak. The bad thing: It's made in China. Boo!
Retail price: $8.99

Nitpicks: It’s really difficult to nitpick anything in this bag – except maybe the bag itself. The inside was really cute, but the outside was plain and ordinary. Oh and of course the brush made in China - I really do everything I can to avoid using products from China.

Lasting Impression: Wow – I got all that for $10 – including shipping. And while I might not like every single product in the bag, I can easily gift at least two of the products (the polish and the Argan Oil) – and still feel like a winner!


Ispy really turned themselves around from the first time I was a subscriber - I'm so impressed!