Sunday, December 23, 2012
Kara's Way December 2012
I call the sample/subscription boxes I received this month The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. The box I received yesterday from Kara's Way is the "good" box.
For those of you not familiar with Kara's Way, it is an eco-friendly sample box. It doesn't really fall under the subscription box category, simply because it's a month-by-month purchase. If you want it that month, and they have boxes available, you can buy one. This makes it a great choice for commitment-phobes, or those who just want get a little something to spice up their mailbox.
This is Kara Way's second box since returning from their hiatus - and it did not disappoint. Here's what was inside:
1) Hollybeth Organics Grits & Honey Scrub: There are sugar scrubs, there are salt scrubs, and apparently now there is a Honey & Grits scrub - and who doesn't want to shower with breakfast foods, huh? But seriously folks, this isn't a shower scrub - it's for faces. I can't wait to use it - it is a nice size sample, and I'll probably be able to use it for at least a month.
Retail price: $25 for 2 oz.
2) Sheswai Lacquer: I received a FULL SIZE bottle of this nail lacquer in the color Earthy. It's described as a "deep shade of toasty mauve" and is free of nasty things, like formaldehyde, toluene, and dbp's. (Yeah, I had to look that one up: it's dibutyl phthalate - and my theory is, if you can't spell it without using a dictionary, you probably don't want to use it, anyway!) This product is made in my favorite place: The good old US of A - and it's so eco-friendly that even the bottle cap was made from sustainably harvested wood.
Retail price: $16 per bottle
3) Native Touch Warrior Bear Rub: I received a similar product in another box a while back - and if this product is anything like the other, it will work wonders. This product is made with tea trea oil, lavender, and rosemary essential oils - and it smells WONDERFUL. It's good to battle cracked heelitis, ugly hard cuticals, and could probably make your knobby knees look better, too.
Retail price: $11.99 for 1.8 oz.
4) Coastal Scents African Black Soap: I received a sample of this a few months ago from another sample box. It's handcrafted in Ghana and allegedly is used to treat skin ailments like rashes, acne, eczema and dandruff. I hadn't tried it - but then my dad (who's visiting for Christmas) said to me when I showed him the bar of soap: "Couldn't you use that on your back? Aren't you complaining that you have weird skin breakouts there?" It was like a lightbulb went off in my brain - so this morning I showered with it, and my back feels better already.
Retail price: $12.95 for 16 oz.
5) Priti NYC Soy Nail Polish Remover Wipes: Okay, this was the only product that was a bit underwhelming - it was in a little foil wrap, which means I received only one. ONE! But then again, with a full size product in the box, who am I to complain? Huh? And honestly, I really do want to try this out without buying a full size product - I'm not convinced alternative nail polish removers work, but I sure want them to - now's my chance to test it out!
Retail price: $9.99 for 10 wipes
There was also a bonus in the box: an Organic Candy Cane from TruJoy Sweets. As you can see from my non-professional photo, it's a full size cane - not a little chintzy candy cane (which I received last year in a box). This candy cane is organic, corn syrup free, gluten free, vegan and contains no artificial colors or flavors - you know you want one.
Nitpicks: Believe it or not, I have only two nitpicks. The first is that the Sheswai Lacquer in Earthy does not seem to be available on their website. Normally that means the color has been discontinued. Does that mean the one I received is old? And if I like it, I can't get another one - but they do have a color that's similar: Rootsy.
The second nitpick is that Kara's Way did not include their Kara's Way tag. If you're not familiar with this, it's a little hang tag they normally include that contains wild flower seeds. You can plant it and see wildflowers spring up. I really missed that little extra.
Lasting Impression: This package was an extremely nice mix of products, and even came with a nod to the holiday season with the inclusion of the organic candy cane. I love that I received a full size product. I know this isn't always possible - but this makes two boxes in a row that contained a full size product (last month's contained Dle's light up lip gloss).
Kara's Way December 2012
African black soap|coastal scents|hollybeth organics|Kara's Way|native touch|Priti NYC|sheswai|TruJoy|warrior bear rub|