Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Eco-Emi Review - November 2014

I know, I know - it's been forever since I've written a review. Crappy camera took away my motivation, but my cheap little Tracfone's camera brought it back!

Enough with the camera-love, on to the review. Eco-Emi used to be my most favorite subscription box. Don't get me wrong - I still love it - but I think it's no longer my favorite. It's been a bit hit-and-miss lately, however they kicked it up for November with a little bit of everything to make the month warm and cozy.

Here's what they sent:

African Black Soap by Coastal Scents: This is the only dog in the box. I've received it before from Eco-Emi - and just about every other subscription box I've ever had. I'm not big on soap, anyway - so a soap has to be really spectacular for me to use it. This one is just "meh" in my opinion.
Retail price: $12.95 for 16 oz.

Tea Light Candles by the Veda Company: For tea lights, these are quite generous in size. They are slightly taller than the average tea light. Lightly scented and from the Jewel collection, I received the Amethyst and Sapphire fragrances. I love candles, and these are reserved for my mom's remembrance candle holder.
Retail price: $15 for 30

Organic Trailbar in Chocolate Peanut Butter flavor by Skout: Food glorious food! I am so glad I received this flavor - chocolate and peanut butter go together like Kim and Kanye.
Update: Tastes like raisins - not like chocolate or peanut butter.
Retail price: $25.99 for 12 bars


Shea Body Butter by Muchie's Skin: My big gripe with body butters is that they are often really difficult to put on. They often are stiff and unyielding - this one, though, is thick without being stubborn. It glides on the skin, and absorbs quickly. Mine is Cucumber Melon - not really a fall scent, but it's nice nonetheless!
Retail price: $38 for 9 oz.

Sicilian Light Serum by Skin & Co Roma:  This is made in Italy, and that alone gave me a case of the happies! I love that I have never - or at least I don't ever remember - received a product from Eco-Emi that was made in China. This product is sure to give my old lady skin a case of the happies as well!
Retail price: $47 for 1 oz.

Veggie-Go's by Naked Edge Snacks: The company promises 1/2 serving of fruit AND 1/2 serving of veggies in every strip. However, I don't think this will be a hearty snack - it's super thin, kind of like a fruit roll-up. My box contained the Sweet Potato Pie flavor, and it's only 20 calories. Heck, I could eat 5 in one sitting and still have calories to spare!
Retail price: $27.79 for 20

Milk Chocolate Hot Cocoa by Cisse Trading Co.: This is a snacky kind of box, but I don't mind. In fact, I'm tickled. I received the Dark Chocolate with Cinnamon Hot Cocoa flavor, and can't wait to throw down some milk and have me some cocoa before bedtime. It's what us old ladies like to do: drink warm milk and sleep it off.
Retail price: $26.90 for 10 packets

Lipstick in Skid Row by Medusa's Make-up: Score - I got a full sized product! Wish I had received Baroque or Lolita - those colors would be more complimentary to my skin color. Still, this will make a great Christmas gift for someone - it's lovely and edgy and I want more! Plus it's made in my favorite place: the good old U. S. of A!
Retail price: $12

Lash & Brow Enhancing Serum by Lashem: I've received these types of products before, and they're really not for me. While I love the idea of lash enhancers, I just never seem to actually use them. If you do, let me know about your experience in the comments.
Retail price: $70 - size not specified



Nitpicks: Eco-Emi hasn't gotten any better about proofreading their little information cards. They totally misspelled Medusa's Make-up - and while they were only missing an apostrophe and the hyphen, it's the company's name. This seems to be a continuing problem - and as someone who's aware of how much a company's brand means to them, I know this probably irritated Medusa's Make-up a bit.

They also forgot a few commas in the verbiage on the front. They really put a lot of work into making these informational cards attractive - too bad they don't put extra effort into proofreading them as well.


Lasting Impression: Food glorious food! But seriously folks, this box was a really nice mix of items. A cosmetic, some body care, a home item and delicious food. All that's missing is a DVD and a masseuse. 

So what am I thankful for this month? Well, for you dear reader, of course! Oh and my hot chocolate and nap time. Yeah, that's what it's all about.

Thank you, too, Eco-Emi, for bringing me a whole year of delights!